In successful teamwork, the participation of each individual is important. Before starting a discussion on team building, this “Working With Parts” exercise can show the importance of each individual in a team.
- To demonstrate the importance of individual participation in successful teamwork.
- To show the essential or effective role of each individual.
- 30 minutes
- An illustration of a bicycle, with all parts labeled. (If possible have a real bicycle standing in front of the group)
- Put up the illustration of the bicycle in front of the big group.
- Ask the participants which part is the most important (expect different responses from the participants).
- Ask them to explain why they feel that the part they mentioned is the most important. Accept all responses as there are no right or wrong answers in this exercise.
- When everybody has had his/her time to speak, ask if the bicycle would work with any of its parts missing.
- Now ask them to think the bicycle parts as individuals in a group.
- Discuss the importance of individual participation in successful teamwork.
- In this entire exercise, accept all answers given by the participants. This will encourage them to participate in the discussion. Make sure that everybody had a chance to speak.
Instead of a bicycle, this exercise can also be done with parts of a spraying machine or torch light. Start the exercise by asking participants to mention all parts of a spraying machine or torch light and draw it in front of them.
Some guidelines for discussion
- Name the parts of the given instrument (bicycle, sprayer, torch light)
- Which parts are very important and which are less important?
- If any part is missing, what happens?
- Conclude that every member of a group is important for the functioning of the group, just like the parts in the drawing.